Skip to content | Friday, 08-Dec-2023 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Who Can Use the Service

Anyone who has been accepted onto the Lancaster City Council housing register is able to use the service. To apply to join the housing register you must be over 16 years of age.

You will need to complete an application form. The quickest and easiest way to do this is to apply online through this website. To complete an online application, click here. If you are not able to apply online please contact us and we will send you a paper application form.

Along with your application form you will be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of identity for all household members (e.g. passport, birth certificate, driving licence, medical card)
  • Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill, recent benefit letter)
  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen
    (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)
  • Proof of any children (e.g. child benefit letter, child tax credit award letter, letter from school)
  • Proof of income (e.g wage slips, bank statement)

If you do not provide us with the documents required your application may be accepted onto the housing register but will not be awarded any priority. Once the documents are received your application will be assessed and placed in the appropriate band from the date the documents were received. Visit the prioritising applications page for more details on our banding scheme.

Joining the housing register enables you to apply for the different types of accommodation available through Ideal Choice Homes. This includes council accommodation, rented accommodation from other Registered Providers of Social Housing (Housing Associations), private rented properties and shared ownership properties.

If you fill in a paper application form and do not complete it fully it will be returned to you, which will delay your application. The date it is later accepted from will be the date the fully completed form is received.

Who cannot use the service?

You cannot use this service if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the housing register.

There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the housing register. These are:

  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the Common Travel Area (which includes the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland)
  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.

For further information on who can use the service, please see the Lancaster City Council Housing Allocation Policy on the publications and documents pages, or contact us.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy